FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DIVORCE IN DELAWARE FAQS – Delaware Divorce Lawyer
Who is the best divorce lawyer in Delaware?
Well, that is a question that is open to debate. I daresay there are many very good and competent divorce attorneys in the state of Delaware.
2. How Much does it cost to get divorced in Delaware?
On average, as far as the court filing fees, you can check this page which is compiled by state in alphabetical order.
3. What are the residency requirements for filing divorce in Delaware?
You or your spouse must have lived in Delaware six months before filing.
4. Is Delaware a community property state or a equitable distribution state? Will I have to share 50/50 with my spouse?
Delaware, like most US states, is an equitable distribution state. So you are not automatically entitled to half.
5. Is the court likely to give me sole custody of the children?
6. Is it true that I have to take mandatory parenting clases before the court will give me a divorce?
Yes. What’s more, you have to get a certificate of completion to provide to the court. If not, you cannot proceed with the petition for divorce.
7. Can I file my petition anywhere in Delaware?
No, you have to file in the county in which you or your spouse resides.
8. How soon Can I remarry after filing for divorce in Delaware?
You have to wait till the divorce is finalized and it has been entered in the court before you remarry. The fact that you have filed for divorce does not render you divorced. You have to go through the whole process.
9. How are marital debts treated?
Normally, jointly. Both spouses are responsible. But there could be exceptions.
10. Is divorce mediation common in Delaware?
It’s becoming more so.