Divorce in Alaska FAQS for Alaska Divorce Lawyer
ALASKA DIVORCE LAWYER
Attorney advertising page (CONTACT US FOR ANNUAL RATES)
Alaska divorce lawyer DIVORCE FAQ: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DIVORCE IN ALASKA
1. What is the residency requirement to file for divorce in Alaska?
Alaska divorce lawyer: You can file as long as you are in Alaska and intend to make it yçur home even if the other spouse does not live there but so long as the other spouse lived in Alaska at least six months during the last six years, they might be stuck if the Alaska courts accept jurisdiction.
2. Can I file for divorce anywhere in the state?
Alaska divorce lawyer: Usually you have to file in the circuit court in the county where you live. There are exceptions and some courts allow you to file in the county even if you don’t live in that county but normally it will be the county where you live.
3. How much does it cost to get divorced in Alaska?
Alaska divorce lawyer: It depends on whether it is contested or uncontested and it depends if the attorney charges a flat fee or puts you on a retainer. Even if you do your divorce yourself or file an online divorce which is also possible, you have to pay court fees
4. How long does a divorce take in Alaska?
It depends. If it uncontested it can take as little 30 days for an uncontested divorce.
5. Are parenting classes mandatory if we have kids?
Not necessarily but you could be required to view a court approved video about the children.
6. Is it possible to do my own divorce in Alaska?
Yes. But it is not always the smartest choice to file without an attorney
7. Can I resume my maiden name?
8. How soon can I remarry after getting divorce in Alaska?
As soon as the divorce is entered in the Court.
9. How is property division handled in Alaska?
Alaska is an equitable distribution state. That means the judge will order a division that is “fair” under be circumstances of your specific situation but that may or may not amount to a 50/50 split.
If you are an attorney in Alaska who would like to adopt this page please contact us for annual rates. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the form below.