Divorce Cupcakes Recipe – Lemon & Blueberries
Divorce Cupcakes Recipe – (Lemon, Almonds and Blueberries) Yum!
When life gives you a divorce, what do you do? Why make lemon divorce cupcakes, of course!
This particular divorce cupcakes recipe is a patchwork of different recipes I have seen and read and tasted and tried. For this recipe, I borrowed heavily from one I found in a cookbook called Home Sweet Home by the Humingbird Bakery, a popular UK Bakery on Portobello Road in London (they have other bakeries in South Kensington, Soho and Dubai).
The Hummingbird Bakery makes amazing cupcakes and I like to improvise from their stuff, but be careful. Sometimes, my cupcake adaptations are a flaming disaster. Usually I look at other people’s recipes or photos and try to imagine my own spin on it. Sometimes my spin is utterly sublime. Want to chance it? I welcome you to!
Here is my adapted recipe for Lemon Divorce Cupcakes. The pics are not mine, btw. They are from Flickr Creative Commons (and gave me the idea for the blueberries, to be honest) and the links are below.
Lemon Divorce Cupcakes
Make 12 – 16 divorce cupcakes for you and your friends and kids
Ingredients 4 1/4 ounces of unsalted butter 20 ounces of caster sugar 2 lemons 1 lime 1/4 teaspoon iodized salt 20 ounces whole milk 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract 2 drops of yellow food coloring Grated lemon & lime zest 8 3/4 ounces of plain flour 1 tablespoon baking powder 6 ounces of double cream 1 1/4 ounces buttercream 6 eggs Carton of blueberries A handful of almonds Your favorite cookies
Lemon Divorce Cupcakes Procedure
- First, preheat your oven to 300°F. Raise to a maximum of 325° after a few minutes.
- Take out your cupcake pans and line them with pretty yellow muffin cases.
- Create a lemon curd using 2 eggs, 1.5 ounces of butter, 1 lime and 1 lemon (juiced) and 7 ounces of caster sugar, in a medium sized pan placed over gentle heat and whisk it. When the mixture is nice and thick, lower the heat, stir in the lemon/lime zest and then turn off the heat, pour it into a large bowl, cover it and let it cool off to the side.
- Next step for your lemon divorce cupcakes. Take 3/4 ounces of buttercream and 1 ounce of double cream and whisk together in an electric mixer. When the lemon curd is perfectly cooled, fold cream into it.
- Still hoping that this recipe is going to work out, this might be a good time to raise the temperature on the oven to 325°.
Quick Time out: Wanna know how to handle divorce stress? Check out the slide show…cupcakes recipe continues after the jump
Lemon Divorce Cupcakes Recipe continued
- Now for the sponge. Mix 2 eggs, vanilla extract and 7.5 ounces of milk in a medium sized bowl.
- Combine 7.5 ounces of flour, 2.5 ounces of butter, 1 tablespoon baking power, 10 ounces of caster sugar, salt and mix in an electric mixer. If you do not have an electric mixer, improvise with whatever handheld options you have at your disposal.
- Combine the ingredients in step 1 with the ingredients in step 2 in the mixer and mix/beat till smooth. Adjust the speed as needed to achieve the results of NO LUMPS.
- When your batter is perfectly smooth, add the almonds and mix gently by hand.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cases, being careful to only fill each pocket half way.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for up to 25 minutes or until golden yellow brown. Remove and let cool.
- Now for the topping. Use 11.5 ounces of milk, 3 eggs, the 1.5 ounces of plain flour, 2 ounces of caster sugar, 5 ounces of double cream, .5 ounces of buttercream.
- Pour the milk in the saucepan first of all and let it get hot. Combine the egg yolks, flour and caster sugar in a separate bowl. When the milk comes to a boil, turn off the heat and mix all the ingredients into the milk, stirring and whisking till the batter is well cooked. Put back on heat and stir, stir, stir till cooked through but not overcooked. Once well cooked, pour into a flat baking tray, cover it and set aside for cooling.
- Time for the lime curd you prepared earlier. At this point, your cupcakes should be well cooled. Gut them with a knife, careful not to totally demolish the cupcake, you just want a hallow in the center. Use a tea spoon to spoon lime curd into the hallow of the cupcake. Take the cut out portion and put it back into the hallow. Press the cut out back into the hallow.
- Take the butter cream and double cream and beat them together till they form peaks. Add two drops of yellow food coloring. Then fold the cream into the ingredients in step 8 which hopefully have now cooled.
- Using this custard, top each cupcake in swirling motions.
- Sprinkle with leftover lemon/lime zest. Decorate each cupcake with a few blueberries and finally, stick in a cookie in the middle.
N.B. I may have miscalculated some of the ingredients so double check to make sure the math is good (or the cupcakes could be a flaming disaster.) 🙂
Hey, have you visited the world’s first online DIVORCE MUSEUM?