“Women with their intuitive instinct, understood that I dreamed not only of making them more beautiful, but happier.” Christian Dior.
In the rarefied world that is the House that Dior built – currently headquartered on Rue de Marignon in Paris – lies the recipe for getting over a divorce in optimal style and emerging from what is sure to be a trying experience with more optimism, beauty, creative ideas & happiness than you ever dreamed possible for yourself.
Born in France in 1905 in a charming ville in northern France called Granville, Dior was born into a family of privilege. When he made the decision to become a designer, he decided to focus on “female empowerment” if you can belief the current creative director Maria Grazia Chiuri who is the first woman to hold the post in the House’s 70 year history. Interviewed about her début collection which was unveiled at a masked Ball at the Musée Rodin in Paris, Ms Chiuri said ‘This voyage is guided by a desire for beauty, where losing oneself is a necessary step to challenging oneself and evolving.”
This is what moving past your divorce is all about and this is what is meant by “Dior inspiration for divorcées.” When a woman goes through divorce, her reaction will vary because she is an individual and not all women are created equal in terms of their emotional reaction to things. But one thing is sure, most will feel some sense of loss after a divorce. Many may feel “lost” and not sure what kind of life they can lead after a marriage ends. But what Chiuri is saying in fashion applies to life after divorce for women. Life is a voyage. Marriage was a part of the journey but so was the divorce. It does not mean the end of life. It does not mean the end of a woman’s natural desire for beauty and for self evolution and for fulfilment and for giving herself challenges to overcome.
The Dior brand was always seen as an opportunity to “unleash your feminine charm,” and it is exactly what you have to do after your divorce if you want to find new love and new opportunities including jobs, discounts for necessities you might be a little short on money to afford, cutting the queue on Monday morning rush hour to buy your Navigo or Metrocard, and just a new and better version of you.
Here are some specific ways that you can channel Dior in your personal post-divorce empowerment makeover:
- Be the quintessential Dior divorcée. Get a Christian Dior French Manicure (yes with Dior nail polish) This will just freshen up your hands and perk you up and make you feel so feminine and pretty so quickly, that it is not even logical that you have to be told to do it. Get thee to a manicurist now and demand a Christian Dior French manicure!
- Throw a masked costume ball divorce party. Steal this idea from Dior creative director Maria Chiuri and do it on a scale that you can afford. Obviously, most people will not be able to afford to throw an event at the Musée Rodin in Paris and invite hundreds of people. But an intimate masked ball in your apartment where you invite 10 friends is possible, n’est-ce pas?
- Buy a new signature perfume to make yourself smell nice and new and seductive. Hey, for the beginning, seduce yourself. If you are not utterly seduced by yourself, how can anyone else be seduced by you? According to legend, Dior once said that a woman’s perfume says more about her than her handwriting. Find a fragrance that says about you what you want said about you. Luckily for you, Dior has several delectable fragrances to choose from including J’adore and Miss Dior. Which is your fantasy?
- Channel your inner Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth Taylor, God rest her soul was the epitome of Hollywood glamour, beauty, and marriage/divorce in her heyday. And she loved Dior. No one is advising you to become a divorcing woman. But you should remember that just because one marriage did not work out does not mean you can’t find another husband to replace the one you lost. How many times did Liz do it? Eight? Nine? Ten times? And always in style.
- Fly to Paris for a shopping trip. Cheer yourself up by taking a trip to the city of lights, romance, architecture, gastronomy, history and luxury. Do not waste another minute moping about your divorce. Life. is. too. short. For your shopping excursions, the Dior Headquarters in Paris are on Rue de Marignan in the 8th District. You can also find stores at 30 Avenue Montaigne, 5 Rue de Babylone (perfumes), 326 Rue Saint Honoré, 36 Avenue Hoche and 25 Rue Royale. There is also a Dior in the Marais at the BHV. Really, you won’t have a shortage of Dior in Paris. All you need is a wallet full of cash.
- Buy and nurture a pussy willow plant. The pussy willow plant does not only have a sexy name. When Dior opened their flagship store in Beijing, the pussy willow factored heavily into the décor. Taking care of a pussy willow tree after your divorce will remind you of the importance of taking care of yourself in every single way and in every single part. And while you are at it, buy a pussy willow blouse, if Dior makes one and if you can find it.
- Go on holiday in Asia (Japan, Korea, Singapore, China). Why? Dior is said to love Asia and there will be tons and tons of Dior stores for you to go shopping. But even so, if you don’t shop, this can just be a trip of a lifetime where you go and experience another culture and you heal and you learn to move past the divorce with the kind of Asian influenced zen and serenity. Get a lot of massages and eat well while you are there.
- Move. Literally relocate to LA. If you are on the East Coast, you can even drive cross country to the West Coast. Get new digs. Watch some movies featuring Dior fashion to motivate yourself to be more fabulous post divorce, and maybe even become famous yourself. Hub nub in all the celebrity hangouts and try to make some celebrity friends. Shop Dior on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. By the way, Dior was a famous “Silver Screen Couturier” back in the day and many film actresses revere(d) him including: Elizabeth Taylor, Grace Kelly, Ingrid Bergman, Jane Russell, Ava Gardner, Brigitte Bardo & Marilyn Monroe.
- Wear status sunglasses. Dior makes the most sophisticated sunglasses that will class up your wardrobe and make you feel like a movie star, with your little stylish self as soon as you put them on. While Dior sunglasses are not cheap, it is not as huge an investment as other things the House makes so for some people, if there is just one indulgence they can make in Dior, the sunglasses are not a bad bet. For the divorcée looking to get her grove back, this will make feel like Stella just without the gay husband.
- Invest in a new Shoes & Bag for work. Who makes better ladies bags and shows for the professional woman than Dior? After your divorce, you are likely going to re-enter the job market and you will need a few investment pieces to look your best. Dior accessories and apparel are always going to be a good investment in yourself. You deserve to look and feel your best as you take charge of your career whether voluntarily or involuntarily.
The Story of Dior http://www.dior.com/couture/en_us/the-house-of-dior/the-story-of-dior/cinema
Sign Up! Get Free Giveaways, New Ideas & Latest News Valid email for entry Thanks 🙂