The author of How to Divorce: Part I is a friend and colleague. I should say that first, as a disclaimer. It is 100 pages of lightly written advice about a very heavy and often dreary subject. I thought Marion did a great job. The book is based on posts from Divorce Saloon, for which Marion TD Lewis is the founder and editor on chief, and apparently it is the first of a 3 part series of How to’s for divorcing people. It is useful, cautionary and in some cases even entertaining. How can the subject of divorce be entertaining, you ask. Well, there are a couple of chapters in there like “How to Divorce a Millionaire” and “How to Divorce a Billionaire” that to me were entertaining because realistically how many people are looking to divorce millionaires and billionaires? But in fact in speaking to Marion she explained that I would be surprised how many millionaires are in the country and how often they divorce.
Some of my favorite chapters in the book are relevant to regular folks, though. For example, “How to save every penny when you divorce” and “How to cope when people are gossiping about your divorce” and one of my absolute favorites “How to re-open a divorce case after the statute of limitations has run.”
One of the surprises in the book was a chapter on “How to escape a trafficked marriage.” I never even thought about something like that and apparently it is becoming more and more common for mail order brides to arrive in foreign countries – even the US – and get trapped in servitude nightmares with the man they marry. So I thought that was quite astonishing and I do appreciate that she added that chapter in there.
If I had to critique I would say that I would have liked a couple more chapters on things like “How to negotiate your divorce settlement” but Marion assures me that questions like that will be answered in the other 2 books in the series.
So overall, I would give this book an 8 out of 10.
TITLE: How to Divorce: Part One
Author: Marion TD Lewis
Publisher: The Divorce Saloon International in assoc. with Waterfall Press (Createspace)
Publication date: August 10, 2016
Price: Amazon $9.99 Kindle Store $0.99 cents
ISBN: 13: 978-1536993318
REVIEWED BY Genevieve Smith FOR DIVORCE SALOON
- Book Review for WIN! Achieve Business Success With These 13 Concepts
- On Writing a book about your divorce: 12 tips to help you publish on Kindle
- Check out this book “How To Divorce: Part 1”
- Divorce Saloon speaks with author Genevieve Smith (plus a review of her book)
- Revisiting the Divorce Diet
- Book 3 of my 3 part series HOW TO DIVORCE will be ready in a few!
- INFIDELITY: KEY CONCEPTS COVERED IN THE BOOK
- BOOK REVIEW: The Recession Made Me Eat It – by Genevieve Smith
- BOOK REVIEW: Getting Past Your Breakup, Susan J. Elliott
- Divorce Saloon’s Editor in Chief Marion TD Lewis Discusses her Book, A Girl Named Sandy