A hot shot New York law firm is in big trouble with one of their former clients, a woman living in Costa Rica who used to jointly retain the law firm with her estranged husband – for other matters. The woman claims that now that she and her husband are divorcing, that the law firm sided with her husband and betrayed her by taking action that would allow her husband to dissipate and conceal jointly owned marital assets.
Writes the Post:
A wealthy wife is suing power New York law firm Fox Horan & Camerini — whose clients have included Shakira — for allegedly siding with her husband after she’d retained them in an $800 million divorce case.
Maria Margarita Herdocia — wife of former Citicorp investment banker and Costa Rica-based real estate mogul Jaime Javier Montealegre — has filed a suit in New York State Supreme Court that declares: “This is an action against disloyal lawyers . . . for breaches of fiduciary duty and the norms of professional conduct.”
Herdocia claims that she and Montealegre were jointly repped by Fox Horan & Camerini for 25 years — but that when the couple, living in Costa Rica, divorced “at the same time [Herdocia] was consulting with [Fox Horan] . . . partners in that firm had secretly chosen sides, and were actively helping [her conceal and . . . transfer assets” from their accounts around the globe.
The Post claims that the law firm has gone silent when pressed for a statement.
- COSTA RICA: Divorce laws are complex and favor women
- Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt divorce fraud scandal exposed
- COSTA RICA: Dennis and Susan Janik: How did this American couple end up in this bureaucratic hell of a divorce in South America?
- Mel Gibson and Britney Spears? Oksana Pochepa? Oksana Kolesnikova? Who cares? In LA it’s irreconcilable differences!
- More rich people are getting divorced now, according to the American Bar Association
- COSTA RICA: Breaking divorce news: Spencer Pratt detained on gun possession charges; divorce from Heidi called off
- Are high end law firms seeing a decrease in divorce cases now that the economy is picking up?
- Does Your Law Firm Website Look Racist? You Could be Losing Clients
- Robyn Moore Gibson (Mel’s wife) on when the California trophy wife gets dumped
- PANAMA: Were Your Client’s Financial Interests Compromised by Mossack Fonseca?