So in India and other Muslim countries (not all, only some) a man can divorce his wife simply by saying “I divorce you” 3 times. The woman cannot get a divorce from her husband in this manner, if at all. It is called “Talaq” and so the man says “talaq, talaq, talaq” and the marriage is caput. The woman is screwed for life. Well, this practice could be on the cusp of change. On US News and World Reports, it has been reported that
In a letter to India’s National Commission for Women, the Mumbai-based Muslim women’s rights group Bharatiya Muslim Mahila Andolan calls the instant, unilateral divorce system in India “un-Quranic” and asks the commission to back their petition to ban the practice in India, which has received more than 50,000 signatures.
It has not yet taken hold and so the law is still what the law is with respect to that. But soon, this could change for women impacted by this. And that is probably a good thing.
- CANADA: Canadian court nixes a Talaq divorce (Sharia/Islamic divorce)
- PHILIPPINES: Divorce bill to be revived? Right now no divorce allowed only annulment
- INDIA: No fault divorce to become new law of the land?
- CAIRO: Egyptian radio station offers help to divorced women
- MALAYSIA: Female judges appointed to Shariah courts; this is good for women getting divorced
- MUMBAI: Divorce rate in India doubles: it increases by 100% says expert in BBC interview
- Model commits suicide after divorce
- LAHORE: Can a Hindu Indian like Sania Mirza and and a Pakistani Muslim like Shoaib Malik beat the divorce odds?
- Divorce Support Group – you are not alone (Chicago residents)
- CALCUTTA: The Hindu Marriage Act does not provide for “equitable distribution” or “community Property”