Breast-feeding and divorce
That is an interesting concept. I got the idea for this post here: http://www.blisstree.com/breastfeeding123/breastfeeding-divorce-and-custody-issues/
It never ever even entered my brain that this could be an issue (I wonder why?) but it seems that some folks have had some issues with mothers breastfeeding, and how that interferes with the father’s visitation with his kids (in a divorce scenario). That is intense! So, this post above basically has links to all the “breast-feeding laws” of various states. I never even knew such a thing was on the books of certain states. Wild!
But it poses a good question. Can a divorcing father force his soon to be ex-wife to stop breast-feeding an infant and put the infant on formula so that he can have more visitation?
I would imagine he could. Because in New York, certainly, there is no longer a “tender age doctrine” on the books. In the past, mothers got custody of young children based on the notion that a young infant would obviously need to be breast fed and things like that. Now, the court does not recognize this as an issue. Dads can get custody from day one. So if they are getting divorced after the child is about 3 months, say, and the mother has been breast-feeding, and the father was granted custody or even liberal visitation, I would imagine that he could force the mother to feed the child formula instead of breast milk. Cause if she doesn’t, he will have an impossible, wailing baby on his hands at all hours of the day or night. Which I am certain can drive anybody insane. (Wonder how the octomom does it? Does she have milk for all those kids?)
Anyhoo. Just thought I’d throw this one up. Cause it intrigued me. Cause it never occurred to me this could be an issue. But now that I think about it, it totally can. Wow. What’s going to be next? What’s gonna be next?!
- When divorce happens and there is an infant baby in the picture
- Breast Implants and divorce: Is it just Mel Gibson who despises surgically enhanced breasts?
- BULGARIA: Should 11 yr old Korteza Zhelyazkova get custody of her daughter Violeta?
- TMZ claims Mel Gibson will move to strip Oksana of custody of Lucia
- Tiger/Elin Divorce “exclusive” TMZ scoop May 12, 2010 really a non-scoop?
- Abbie Dorn v. Dan Dorn: Judge rules brain damaged mom can get visitation with triplets above dad’s objections
- Tori Spelling’s Mommywood and Candy Spelling’s Candyland: Is mother competing with daughter? And what about the grandkids?
- FLORIDA: Divorcing the mob: Lewis & Eileen Kasman on the complications mob ties can pose
- Cara Cox, an American girl abducted by her father and taken to Mexico is found
- Do Grandparents have the right to visit a child if the parents don’t like it?